- Local Time 07:31
- Current Weather
- Population294, 000
- CurrencyMaldivian Rufiyaa
The Maldives comprises of 1,190 stunning and unique coral islands grouped into 26 atolls that lie scattered across the Indian Ocean like jewels. These beautiful islands are mostly made up of breathtakingly beautiful white sandy shores, adorned with tropical palm trees and surrounded by azure blue ocean waters which are rich in marine life and protected by reef structures.
The unparallel natural splendour and wonderful warm climate, together with the exclusive underwater sea life and colourful coral of Maldives islands all come together and create idyllic and otherworldly holiday experiences, perfect for a vacation of romance or one spent with the family in tow, the Maldives Islands offer sensational experiences that are incomparable and unforgettable.
- The Maldives flag is red, with a green square centre and white crescent moon. Every element of the flag is symbolic. The crescent moon stands for Islam, the green represents palm trees and the red background symbolizes the bloodshed by Maldivian heroes
- Maldives is the lowest and flattest country in the world and Maldivians worry about the possibility of it sinking as the climate changes. In 2009 the world's first underwater cabinet meeting was held in the Maldives, to raise awareness
- Ninety-nine percent of the Maldives consists of water. The other one percent is made up of 1,190 coral islands grouped into 26 atolls – 200 islands are inhabited and 80 islands feature tourist resorts
- The Island of Maldives was established by an exiled Indian Prince. Legend says that the king of Kalinga was unhappy with his son and so sent him away to the Maldives, then known as Dheeva Maari
- Maldivians have a strong belief in the supernatural, like black and white magic. In 2013, a coconut was detained by police for 'loitering and acting suspiciously' during presidential elections, believed to be the product of magic
- The Maldives, like many other Muslim countries, enjoys its weekends over a Friday and Saturday
Average Monthly Temperature